Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The 8 Weeks That Turned Into 7 Years

This is the story of how my eight-week fling turned into a seven-year relationship and a marriage. Seven years ago today I met my husband in Heidelberg, Germany. I will never forget the first time I saw him in the hallway of our dormitory in the old villa on Bergstrasse. He was standing by his room with another new arrival. He had grown-out brown curly hair, beautiful hazel eyes and was wearing a Radiohead t-shirt – I thought he was the cutest thing I had ever seen! I am not going to lie, it was not love at first sight; I don't know if I even believe in that. The cute curly-haired boy was only in Germany for eight weeks before heading back to the US, so we decided that our relationship would only last that long. I don't think either of us was looking for a relationship and we both had come with the intention of dating Europeans. The weeks passed and as time went on we slowly fell in love. My ‘light bulb moment’ occurred during a trip to Berlin with a group of people. There I realized that I loved him and if it was only going to last a little while it was worth it. Around Christmas time he went back to the US and I stayed in Germany for my second semester of school. We talked every day. Towards the end of the year the curly-haired boy told me he was applying to MA programs in London. My school had a campus in London so I applied for a transfer. We ended up in London for six amazing years. Now that our UK adventure has come to an end I look forward to the future adventures we will have, and will always remember the day that changed my life seven years ago!


No comments:

Post a Comment